December 08, 2006

Liberating myself from the how-to-manual mentality

In the foreword to An Unquiet Pedagogy, Paulo Freire wrote:
The beautifully written chapters of An Unquiet Pedagogy demonstrate a profound understanding that practises and experiences can be neither imported nor exported. In essence, Kutz and Roskelly have liberated themselves from the North American culture of how-to manuals.
The minute I read those words, I knew I needed to read this book, and I also suspected that I have not yet liberated myself from the how-to-manual mentality. I read lots of books. I usually have two (at least) in my bag to read on the way to and from work. While I am sick with a cold, I have become more acutely aware of how damn heavy my bag is. What the heck have I got in here? Why do I always need to keep a book or two in there?

I'm not knocking reading, by any means. I'm addicted to learning! I'm stuck in the "I still need more information" mode. The eternal student.

No comments: