December 15, 2005

An integrated approach to learning

From Jo Mcleay’s The Open Classroom blog:  students choose a project to investigate… dissolving faculty… sounds interesting and kind of along the lines I and my colleague have been thinking about recently.

At the same time there are rumours and whispers around schools in general that faculties or key learning areas may be dissolved in favour of an integrated approach to learning. That we should not be looking at discrete subjects like SOSE (Studies of Society and Environment) or Science or English but at ways of providing learning experiences for students where they choose a project to investigate and learn what they need to learn in any discipline as they need to learn it. I don’t know of any specific school doing this but I have heard that some are thinking about it. I’m sure some schools out there are doing this or something like it. I’d love to know how it’s going.

No comments: